We’ve all been there – you’re leading a team, things are going smoothly, and you start to feel like you’ve got everything under control. But then, slowly but surely, complacency sets in. You start to let things slide, you stop pushing yourself to innovate, and before you know it, your team is stuck in a rut. So, how do you avoid becoming complacent as a leader? Here are a few ways:
- Stop doing what you’ve always done. Create some change of environment. One of the biggest traps leaders fall into is relying on the same old strategies and approaches, even when they’re no longer working. An example of this I can relate to would be raising kids. The same approaches don’t always work for tantrums as they have in the past. You can’t parent a kid the same at ages 5 as 14. Things change, and so should your approach to learning and adapting to new situations with new strategies to combat them. If you want to avoid complacency, you need to be willing to shake things up and try new things.
- Keep learning. Just because you’ve reached a leadership position doesn’t mean you’ve got all the answers. To stay ahead of the game, you need to be constantly learning and seeking out new ideas and perspectives. When it comes to learning and dedicating yourself to a new skill such as cooking, knitting, personally for me, weight training, there is always something new to learn to better yourself. Becoming the best leader you can be to your team, family, and people around you is a skill that you can develop over time. There is always room to learn and improve.
- Get an Executive Coach! Alli Worthington convinced me that EVERYONE needs a Coach. A coach will challenge you, hold you accountable and be your biggest cheerleader. It’s easy to get complacent when you’re surrounded by people who always agree with you. As a leader it is important to hold yourself accountable. Check out our blog post “Is it Dirty to Hold Someone Accountable” to learn more about how leaders should hold themselves accountable and others around them to foster a better and more challenging environment to foster learning.
- Take care of yourself. I’ve learned that I cannot pour from an empty cup. It’s hard to stay energized and motivated when you’re not taking care of yourself. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep, eating well, and taking time for self-care. Your body, mind and spirit need to be a priority. You must have a strong sense of self-awareness in order to know your strengths and opportunities as a leader to be motivated and effective. Ask us about our Leadership Coaching services and how we leverage the Predictive Index, a tool that can help you understand these strengths and opportunities and learn to make them your super power in the workplace.
If you’re feeling stuck in a rut as a leader, KF Strategies can help reenergize you and bring calm to the chaos. Here’s how:
- We can provide coaching and mentoring to help you identify areas where you may be getting complacent and develop strategies for staying motivated and innovative.
- We can help you create a culture of innovation within your organization. By working with your team to identify new ideas and approaches.
- We can help you build resilience and mental toughness. Leading a team can be stressful, and it’s important to develop the skills to handle challenges and setbacks without getting bogged down by them.
- We can provide data-driven insights to inform your decision-making. By analyzing data about your organization and your industry, we can help you make informed, strategic decisions that keep you ahead of the competition.
Feeling complacent as a leader? Don’t despair. With KF Strategies, a trusted partner in leadership development, you can conquer the chaos within your organization. Our tailored approach and process experts will boost motivation and provide innovative solutions. Embrace the opportunity to partner with us and overcome complacency with our leadership solutions. Explore our services today to stay ahead of the game.
For personalized, expert advice, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. You can schedule a complimentary 45-minute discovery call by contacting our team here today.